Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I think I've had an Epiphany (and No, that doesn't mean I'm going to Tiffany's)


It’s been nearly two months since I’ve graduated and I have yet to land a full-time job in journalism. There’s been days where my spirit have reached all time lows and days where my determination and drive is in the clouds. It’s one of the most uncertain times I’ve had to deal with in my life. This is all new to me.
And I know everyone means well but until you decide to become a journalist, you will never know how I feel right now. There’s a difference between just writing and doing journalism. So, the suggestions that I “should look into PR work” are usually met with disdain and a possible “dumb ass” under my breath. Nor, do I want to do Teach for America, I appreciate the emails and the fact that “based on my extracurricular involvement, I’d be a great candidate,” but to be honest, the only kids I like are the ones I can be around for a few hours then drop off.
Oh yeah, the mentions of how “broke” I will be as a journalist, doesn’t mean much to me either. What most people don’t get is that, this is bigger than salaries. In fact, it’s bigger than life. As corny as it may sound, I honestly feel like this is what I’m on Earth to do.
Think about it. Journalists have a lot of power. Journalists can set the national agenda. Journalists can persuade people to feel a certain way about anyone or anything depending on the words they choose. (Why else would they make laws about what you write and say?) And often times, minorities—my people—are left out to dry by mainstream media. How many times are blacks portrayed negatively by the news? Too many to count.
But I’m looking to change that. I want to not only give black people a vehicle to continue to voice their concerns, but also make sure mainstream media is doing right by us. As a Christian woman, I think that’s what I was meant to do and nobody can change my thinking.
We’re all here on Earth for a reason and I believe I’ve found mine…

No comments:

Post a Comment