Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Letter to my City




Dear Cincinnati,

I been meaning to get this one off my chest for awhile now. I never thought I’d see the day when I’d be telling you this but I think you and I will need to split. As much as I don’t want to, I have to. You’ve been there for me for the past 21 years and I’ve enjoyed it. Avondale is truly the best—and all I gotta do is mention two words: Blair Park.

But as I’ve grown from a sneaky flyy girl running the streets tryna make it home before those street lights, I’m afraid to say you have not grown much. In fact, you’ve downsized. The Jazz Festival or should I be correct here and say “Macy’s Music Festival” is no longer the premier social event of the summer like it used to be. Earth, Wind & Fire has been the headliner since I can remember. Now don’t get me wrong I can jam to some old school tunes but really can’t we switch it up a little?

Secondly, the social scenes at Eden Park on a beautiful Sunday afternoon or the Strip during afterhours have both dwindled down to a select few trying to keep the tradition strong but who can’t keep others on the bandwagon. Honestly, you’re not much fun anymore. You’re not trying new things. When I see up and coming artists’ tour dates, you are a rare stop. Only established artists stop to visit because you can’t give new artists the love they need. Hell, you don’t even give your own the love they need. There’s talent there that needs to be fostered but you’re not helping much.

And as much as I wanted to stay in denial and say that you really can be like New York or Atlanta, I know the lies have to stop. And they have to stop NOW. Let’s face it. You’ll never be like them. The only similarity among you all is the cesspool of wannabes: ie, models, promoters, rappers, singers, and whatever other “–ers” there are. But at least some wannabes in other places make it to the “being” stage.

But with you no one ever progresses and this is why I have to move on. You will always be my favorite but I gotta do this for me. Sorry.

Yours truly,

Ms Mila J

No comments:

Post a Comment